Native Americans and mountain men were naturally drawn to the warm-water springs. Spanish explorers discovered the wonders of the area in 1773. By the late 1800s the Byron Hot Springs Resort was world-renowned for the healthful benefits of its waters.
In the early twentieth century, San Francisco power brokers, Hollywood stars and sports heroes flocked to the resort paradise for the mineralized springs and recreation. They relaxed in the warm sun on the lawn or in glass-enclosed verandas. They played golf, tennis, croquet, baseball, shuffleboard and billiards.
The lush 160-acre property, just a few miles east of San Francisco, featured over the years - three grand hotels, a Queen-Anne cottage called the Mead Mansion, hospital, and several guest cottages. Visitors restored their health and well being through hydropathic “cures,” mud baths, restorative spring waters, swims and strolls through the exotic gardens. The resort was called the “Carlsbad of the West” after the famed European health spa.
Located in convenient proximity to Silicon Valley, the resort is just 20 minutes by car north of the Hacienda Business Park, Pleasanton and 60 minutes from downtown San Jose. The Oakland Airport is a convenient 45 minute drive. Personal aircraft are accommodated at the Byron Airport just minutes away.
Byron Hot Springs, California (Images of America Series)
Just released history of Byron Hot Springs
by Carol Jensen, East Contra Costa Historical Society
Click here for details or buy this book now!
© 2004 Byron Hot Springs